Saturday, February 23, 2013

Last long training run before Chuckanut

With the exception of a 30mph headwind for the last mile, it was one of the best runs I’ve ever been on. 

Being the last chance for a long run before Chuckanut (travelling next weekend, resigned to dreadmill), I wanted to put in a nice, slowly-paced effort so I could finish feeling I still had lots left in the tank.

Legs felt pretty good all day, had the right amount of food and water and a lengthy section of snow and slush kept me on my toes and not overexerting myself trying to run fast. There were quite a few people out on the trails and since it was one of the first sunny days in some time everyone seemed to be in a super positive mood. Good views, sun on the face and nice rooty and rocky north shore trails; a real winning combo.

Trail workers on Mt. Fromme were playing CSNY, so running by them going out and back was a treat.

I felt like the most important things were just to feel good about the run: I wasn’t watching my time at all, just trying to focus on running well, enjoying it and taking care of my body. Feels like mission accomplished for now; a little tired and sore, but no out-of-the-normal pain.

Now just want to stay in shape and keep the activity level up, but not strenuous for the next two weeks and then have a real easy week before the race (March 16). Daily reading includes intense (attempted) memorization of the elevation and sections of Chuckanut (totally dweeby, I know).

February 23: 20.25 miles, approx. 3,500’
Out and back: Ambleside beach to Lynn Headwaters via Capilano Pacific and Baden Powell trails
 

No comments:

Post a Comment